Q: Is there high speed Internet service?

A: Yes. Each suite is equipped with a “standard” Internet service free of charge. There is a high-speed modem and wireless router provided, and has its own Internet security password. Tenants looking to have additional Internet service beyond what is provided as “standard” by the residence can be arranged at the tenants own expense.

Q: Who is responsible for cleaning the suite?

A: Tenants are responsible for cleaning their suite and for purchasing all necessary cleaning supplies. There are periodic inspections to ensure that suites are being maintained. Please ensure that there is open communication with your suitemates regarding cleaning duties as it is the responsibility of all suitemates to ensure that the apartments are well maintained and cleanly. Onsite cleaning staff maintain the upkeep and cleaning of the residence grounds and common areas.

Q: Are there laundry facilities?

A: Yes. There are card-operated washers and dryers in a laundry room located on the property. You can purchase a laundry card from the management office for $5.00. This card can be loaded with money using your debit or credit card in the laundry room and has a declining balance as used.

Q: What happens if I get sick or there is a medical emergency?

A: There are several walk-in medical clinics in Peterborough, and Peterborough Regional Health Centre is a 10-minute drive from the residence. In addition, Fleming College offers onsite medical care through a Registered Nurse as well as a part-time physician clinic. Peterborough also has 911 emergency dispatch services.

Applying for a Room

Q: When should I apply for a room at the Severn Court Residence?

A: You should apply for a room as soon as you get your formal acceptance from Fleming College. The 368 rooms at Severn Court are offered on a first come, first served basis.

Q: How do I apply for a room at Severn Court Residence?

A: There are several easy steps you need to take to apply for a room. First, you will need to obtain and print all of the required paperwork from the “Resources“ section. Next, obtain a money order or certified cheque in the amount of one month’s rent, which will serve as your first deposit (Note: Credit cards (VISA and MasterCard) and debit cards are accepted in person, by fax or e-mail). Last, mail your completed paperwork package and deposit to the Ontario Student Residence Corporation at 555 Wilfred Drive, Peterborough, Ontario K9K 1W1.

If  you have any questions about the forms or process please contact us.

Q: Do I need a guarantor if I am 18 years of age or older?

A: Yes. All applicants require a guarantor, regardless of their age.

Q: When will I find out if I have a room at Severn Court?

A: You will receive notification by letter within two weeks of the date that your application and payment are received at the Residence Management office. You may want to send your application by Xpress Post or courier so that you can track the delivery date.

Q: What happens to my application deposit if I don’t get a room because Severn Court is full?

A: Your full application deposit will be returned by mail. Your application forms will be kept on file and your name will be placed on a waiting list. If a room becomes available, you can re-send your deposit at that time.

Q: What happens if I change my mind before I move in?

A: Once an application has been accepted, you are obligated for all rental payments until the lease term ends or another student is found for your room, whichever happens first. If you change your mind, Residence Management staff should be notified as quickly as possible.


Q: Is a meal plan available?

A: Severn Court does not offer a meal plan, but there is a student meal service available through Food Services at Fleming College. Each Severn Court suite has a full kitchen, so meals can be prepared and enjoyed at home.

Rent & Parking

Q: Do I have to pay my full rental term in advance?

A: You are welcome to pay your rental fees in full or by semester for your own convenience if you wish but, it is not required. After your first two deposits are paid, the remainder of your rent can be paid through a Pre- Authorized Payment Plan, Cash, Debit, Cheque, VISA or MasterCard. Please note if paying with a Credit Card there is a $25.00 processing fee. The first rental deposit (the equivalent of one month’s rent) is due with your rental application; a second rental deposit (also the equivalent of one month’s rent) is due on or before the first day of the month before the college semester starts (August 1 for September; December 1 for January; April 1 for May).

These two deposits must be paid by certified cheque or money order if mailed. Cash, Cheques, Debit card, VISA and MasterCard payments are accepted if payments are made in person at the Residence Management office. Credit card payments will not be accepted by fax or email.

Q: Can I pay my rent by credit card?

A:  Yes, we accept both VISA and MasterCard for your convenience. Please note that there is an additional $25.00 administration fee for each rental payment paid by credit card.

Q: Do I still have to pay rent if I move out?

A: Yes, you are responsible for paying rent until the end of your lease term, or until a new person is found to move into your room. If you are thinking of moving out, please inform the Residence Management office as soon as possible.

Q: How much does it cost to park at Severn Court?

A: Residence parking is charged by the semester, with the entire term payable in advance. 1 Semester is $200.00 and 2 semesters is $360.00 which is due at the beginning of your lease term. Summer Parking is free of charge.

Security & Maintenance

Q: What type of security is provided?

A: There are punch-code locks on the front doors to all buildings. All suites have deadbolts on the front and back doors, and each bedroom has a privacy lock.

In addition, Resident Advisors are onsite and available whenever the Residence Management office is closed. A private security company also provides services on a regular basis.

Q: Are there Resident Advisors who live on the premises?

A: Yes. There is a Resident Advisor living in each building. These students have been selected and trained as role models and leaders of the residence community helping you to transition into residence and college life. As well, the RA’s are responsible for making the community a fun, enjoyable and safe environment for everyone to live in.

Q: What do I do if something needs to be fixed?

A: If you are experiencing a deficiency or problem in your suite that is of an urgent nature, such as a plumbing leak or broken door lock, please notify your Resident Advisor or the Residence Management office right away.

For all other maintenance issues, you should complete a maintenance request form in the office.  Once completed, this form is given to the residence’s maintenance staff. Depending on the problem, repairs are usually completed within one week and will be attended to in priority sequence.


Q: How do you match suitemates?

A: When you sign up to live at the residence, we ask you to complete a personality profile, which asks questions that help best describe you, your personality and lifestyle habits. This helps management assemble the most compatible suitemates possible.

Q: When will I find out my roommates?

A: For any applicants that have applied before July 31st, there will be an email sent with your new roommate’s names and email address.  This information will be sent out in mid August to the email that you provided on your application.   For applicants after July 31st, you will find out your roommates on move in day.

Q: Can I share the suite with a friend, if I make this request in advance?

A: Yes, as long as your friend also indicates on his/her application form that he/she would like to live with you.

Q: I just found out that someone I know is moving into residence, and I’ve already submitted my application form. Can we still room together?

A: Yes, provided that you make a request before residents start to move in and that both of you send an email with this request.

Q: Can males and females share a suite?

A: Yes but only if requested and gender neutral suites are available. You would request this on your personality profile located in the Tenant Information Form.

Q: What if I am not getting along with my suitemate(s)? Can I switch rooms?

A: Every effort is made to ensure suitemates are as compatible as possible. Each problem is addressed on an individual basis, taking into account students’ concerns and rooming availability. We ask that any suitemate conflict that cannot be dealt with on your own, be addressed to your Resident Advisors for assistance. Resident Advisors will try to mediate the situation however, if an agreement cannot be reached and a room switch needs to take place there may be a $75 transfer fee to cover administration costs.

Suites & Rooms

Q: Is the suite furnished?

A: Yes. Each suite’s common area is furnished with a couch, love seat, coffee table and end tables. In the kitchen/dining room, there is a kitchen table & chairs, full-size fridge, stove/oven, cupboards and window coverings. A microwave oven is not included.

Q: Are the bedrooms furnished?

A: Yes. Each bedroom has a twin-size bed; desk & desk chair; shelf; closet; electric baseboard heater; window coverings and a lockable bedroom door. You may wish to bring a small dresser, bar fridge and/or microwave oven to keep in your bedroom and any items you wish to personalize your space.

Q: How big are the bedrooms?

A: Each bedroom is approximately 7 ft X 11 ft in size.

Q: Is there cable TV?

A: Yes. There is free cable access in the living room. You will need to provide your own TV if you wish to have one.

"Win FREE Rent" Contest!

Apply to live at Severn Court for your chance to WIN and discover the best of college life at Severn Court!

*See office for full contest details.

Click to continue to site